Friday, June 27, 2008

Why did I choose the MMRF race as my first 5k?

So, as I said, in my initial post, I have no direct experience with Multiple Myeloma. But its impacts on people are something I've become quite familiar with over the last couple of years, from a few different spaces.

I would guess that the first time I ever heard the words "multiple myeloma" were from my friend Rachel. At one point, Rachel and I lived a few hundred miles away from one another, and we met, like so many significant relationships in my life, on a text-based BBS so many years ago that I don't remember how many it was. More than 10 years, certainly.

Rachel has supported me through some of the happiest and saddest times of my life, and she supports her friends in the same way she seems to approach life in general: with a quiet wit and grace and a sense of genuine friendship that I have long wanted to demonstrate myself.

Rachel's father had multiple myeloma, and my heart broke for Rachel many nights, as I would sit at home and read about what the disease was doing to her father, her stepmother, and to her. Rachel's father passed away on April 20, 2008. I intend to run this race in memory of Rachel's father, Robert, and in honor of Rachel and her stepmother, Hedy.

In early 2006, I decided to learn how to knit (this is not the non sequitur it appears to be, honestly!). I tried to teach myself, but ended up taking a 6-week class at my local yearn shop, Fiddlehead Yarns. (I'm going to miss Mindy and the shop when I move to Chicago!)

And in my nights of scouring the internet for knitting information, I ran across the blog of Annie Modesitt. At the time I started reading her blog, she lived in New Jersey with her husband, Gerry, and their two children. I loved reading about her family and their pursuits as much as about Annie's knitting, teaching, authorship, and other activities. I read the blog avidly as they prepared to uproot and move to Minnesota, and read about what the transition was like after they moved. And after they moved, Gerry was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. I've continued to read the blog, waiting for the next update, amazed at this family and their resilience. I'm running this race in honor of Annie, Gerry, and their two children.

In trying to decide on a race yesterday, I found out that another friend's grandmother is battling multiple myeloma, among other things. I'm running this race for Carrie and her family.

That makes up 3 specific points of contact that I am aware of surrounding multiple myeloma. And I knew that this would be the 5k race I would choose. I want to help raise funds for research, as I know cures can't be found without research. I am fortunate to open my eyes each day and be healthy enough to be able to go out for a run, walk, or bike ride. I'm running this race to honor my own strength and determination.

The best part about this is that I know I will finish the race. I can racewalk if I have to (I think I racewalk faster than my jogging pace, right now, sadly enough). But I'd like to cross the finish line having run the whole thing. So, that's my goal. To run the whole race.

In another post, I'll tackle more about my own background with fitness and exercise.

No comments: